Discover Bank is one of the largest digital banks, credit card issuers, and creditors in the United States. While many creditors may sell defaulted debt to debt buyers, Discover Bank will pursue collection on its accounts by filing lawsuits. The debt resolution lawyers of Warren & Migliaccio have significant experience representing Texans facing debt collection lawsuits. If you received a notice of a lawsuit, it is common to feel stressed and overwhelmed. We discuss what to do if facing a Discover Bank lawsuit below.
Why Is Discover Bank Suing Me?
If Discover is suing you for debt collection, it believes you owe it debt it has not been able to collect. Generally, Discover will consider a credit card account defaulted if the consumer has not made the minimum required credit card amount for at least 180 days.
Discover may transfer the collection matter to a debt collection law firm to pursue litigation. It uses multiple law firms to file its Texas debt collection cases. For example, it often uses the law firms Zwicker & Associates, P.C. and Rausch Sturm LLP.
Schedule a Consultation With Our Debt Defense Lawyers
If you have received a notice of a Discover Bank lawsuit, we recommend consulting with an experienced debt resolution attorney as soon as possible. Unfortunately, many debt collection cases end in a default judgment against the consumer due to failing to respond to the lawsuit or appearing in court.
In Texas, you may only have 14 days to file a response to Discover’s lawsuit. Missing this deadline could result in Discover being awarded legal entitlement to the alleged debt.
The debt defense lawyers of Warren & Migliaccio have extensive experience assisting our clients with debt defense, negotiating a settlement, and alternative debt resolution. Please fill out our online contact form or call us to request a consultation. During a consultation, we can review the claim against you and answer any legal questions you may have. We can also help you understand your best legal options to respond to and resolve Discover’s lawsuit.
What Happens in a Default Judgment?
A default judgment is a court order made without input from the defendant (you). It would legally validate the debt and entitle the plaintiff (Discover Bank) to the money, even if you do not believe you owe it.
For example, suppose Discover gets a default judgment against you. In that case, it could pursue bank garnishment (freezing your bank accounts), a lien against your property, or property seizure. It is important to note that Discover cannot seek wage garnishment for unpaid credit card debt.
Do you already have a default judgment against you? You may still have legal options available to you. Our debt defense attorneys can determine how we can help you deal with a default judgment. Schedule a consultation with our firm today.
What Are My Options if There Is a Discover Lawsuit Against Me?
The best way to protect yourself in a debt collection lawsuit is to take action. First, you need to respond to the lawsuit within the appropriate time frame. Ignoring the case will likely result in an easy win for Discover Bank.
A few of your potential legal options to deal with or fight a Discover card lawsuit include the following:
- Challenge the lawsuit. Depending on your situation, you may have valid defenses to Discover Bank’s claims. Your response, also known as an Answer, must address Discover’s allegations and your defenses. It should also place the burden of proof back on Discover. Because Discover is the plaintiff in the case, it must establish that it owns the account and that you owe it the alleged debt. When challenged, it may not be able to prove its case.
- Negotiate a Discover card lawsuit settlement. Negotiation may be the right option if you believe you owe the debt and we determine that Discover has a strong claim against you. In our experience, creditors and debt collectors are open to negotiating a settlement outside of court to avoid lengthy litigation, added costs, and the possibility of losing the case. Additionally, we can often reach a favorable settlement of less than the original debt.
- Seek alternative options. At Warren & Migliaccio, we have helped many Texans move forward through bankruptcy. We understand the stress of dealing with debt, especially when facing litigation. If you believe your debt is too much to handle, we can explore bankruptcy as an option for you. We are happy to discuss alternative debt resolution options with you during a consultation.
How Can a Debt Defense Lawyer Help Me When Being Sued by Discover Bank?
Discover Bank is a huge company with significant resources. It has law firms on its side that solely focus on pursuing collection for its clients every day. Having a skilled debt defense attorney on your side increases your chance of reaching a favorable resolution in a Discover card lawsuit. At Warren & Migliaccio, we have considerable experience handling cases involving credit card issuers like Discover Bank under Texas law.
Our North Texas debt defense lawyers may be able to help you in the following ways:
- Protect you against a default judgment
- File an appropriate Answer to Discover’s claim with the court
- Investigate the validity of Discover’s claim
- Gather strong evidence for your defense
Depending on the unique circumstances of your situation, we can request a case dismissal, negotiate a settlement with Discover, or help you pursue an alternative resolution.
Contact Warren & Migliaccio if Discover Bank Is Suing You
Are you being sued by Discover Bank? Learn about your best legal options to resolve the lawsuit during a consultation with our North Texas debt resolution attorneys. We understand the stress involved in these lawsuits. We support, defend, and fight for our clients’ best interests through every step of the legal process.
During a confidential consultation, we can answer your questions and help you understand your legal options to move forward. Call us today or fill out our contact form, and we will contact you soon.