When you receive a lawsuit notice from a company like Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC, it can feel overwhelming. Uncertainty and anxiety about what it means and what to do are common reactions. You may also wonder if the notice is a scam because you may not have heard of the company suing you. Below, our Texas debt collection defense lawyers discuss what you should know if facing a Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC lawsuit in Texas.
Is Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC Legit?
The first question you may have is whether Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC is a legitimate company or a scam. It is not a scam. It is a legitimate debt collection company, often referred to as a debt buyer.
The company’s website does not provide very much information about it. However, it is certified by the Receivables Management Association International (RMAI). It has been a certified debt buyer since December 31, 2015.
What Is Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC?
Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC is a debt collection company based in Las Vegas, Nevada. It purchases charged-off debt portfolios from creditors, usually credit card companies or loan providers, for pennies on the dollar. Then it seeks to collect on these debts to make a profit.
Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC is part of a family of debt collection companies. These other companies include:
- Galaxy Capital Acquisitions, LLC
- Galaxy Asset Purchasing, LLC
- Galaxy Capital Recoveries, LLC
- Galaxy Portfolios, LLC
- Worldwide Asset Purchasing II, LLC
- Orion Portfolio Purchasing, LLC
Why Is Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC Suing Me?
Have you received a lawsuit notice from Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC? It is likely because it has purchased an account from your original creditor. The company may have bought a defaulted credit card or loan account with a debt it believes you owe.
It is common for companies like Galaxy International Purchasing to buy thousands of defaulted accounts at once. Then, it will file lawsuits against the consumers. Galaxy International Purchasing hires experienced law firms to handle its collection cases. It often works with the law firm Rausch Sturm LLP for its Texas collection lawsuits. Therefore, you may hear from Rausch Sturm LLP about the lawsuit.
However, remember, you have legal rights. The burden of proof is on Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC, to prove that the debt is yours. Additionally, it must show that it has the legal right to collect on this debt.
What Are My Options if Being Sued by Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC for Debt Collection?
If Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC is suing you, you may have a few legal options available to you. However, first and foremost, it is crucial not to ignore the lawsuit.
You only have a specific amount of time to legally respond to the lawsuit. Depending on which court is handling your case, you may only have 14 days to file your response with the court. Failure to respond can result in a default judgment against you, which basically means you lose the case automatically.
A loss would mean Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC would be entitled to the money, even if you do not owe it. Additionally, it would allow the company to pursue ways to collect the money, including bank garnishment, property liens, or property seizure.
Depending on your situation, here are some legal options you may consider:
- Negotiate a settlement. Negotiating a settlement may be an option if you recognize that you may owe the debt and Galaxy International Purchasing has a strong case. Debt collectors are more inclined to settle than spend resources in court and have an uncertain case outcome. In many cases, you may be able to negotiate a settlement for less than the full amount of the debt. More so, you may be able to negotiate a favorable payment plan.
- Challenge the lawsuit. You have the right to demand verification of the debt. Challenging the lawsuit forces Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC to provide evidence that the debt is yours and that it has the legal right to collect it. Generally, debt collection lawsuits have weaknesses, especially if the debt has been purchased and changed hands. For example, if Galaxy International Purchasing cannot prove that you owe the debt, it owns the debt, or the debt is older than the statute of limitations, the case may be dropped or dismissed.
- Seek bankruptcy protection. Depending on your financial situation, you may consider whether bankruptcy is an option. Bankruptcy may allow you to discharge some or most of your debts. Bankruptcy is not the right solution for every individual, but it may be able to give you a fresh financial start. Our Texas bankruptcy attorneys can help you determine whether filing for bankruptcy may be a viable option for you.
How Can a Debt Collection Defense Attorney Help Me?
Dealing with debt collectors and collection lawsuits can be stressful and complicated, especially when topped with financial stress. A debt collection defense attorney can give you peace of mind by providing guidance and defense representation throughout the entire legal process.
A debt defense attorney can help you in many ways, including but not limited to:
- Drafting and filing your formal response to the lawsuit before the deadline
- Verifying the validity of Galaxy International Purchasing’s claims
- Discussing your legal options so you can make informed decisions about your case
- Negotiating a settlement on your behalf
- Representing you and defending you in court
Our experienced Texas debt collection defense lawyers have extensive experience handling debt collection defense cases. We provide trusted solutions to individuals facing lawsuits from creditors and debt collectors. Through negotiations or litigation, we can help you resolve your case.
Schedule a Consultation With Our Experienced Debt Collection Defense Lawyers
If you are facing a Galaxy International Purchasing, LLC lawsuit, you do not have to deal with it alone. At Warren & Migliaccio, we help individuals across Texas put collection lawsuits behind them. We are here to help you navigate this difficult time.
We are happy to review the lawsuit against you and discuss your options for resolving it. Contact our Texas debt resolution attorneys by submitting our online contact form or calling our office at 888-584-9614.