Although divorce comes with its own set of problems, you may be able to avoid additional issues by following some helpful tips. One of the best ways you can address concerns is by securing legal counsel.
Below are seven divorce tips that may help you to avoid some of the common problems people experience:
- monitor joint or marital debt to ensure repayment, and get rid of any joint lines of credit;
- work out which of you is responsible for which marital debts;
- remove your ex-spouse as beneficiary on retirement plans and insurance policies;
- make copies of all your financial and other records;
- be reasonable about property division, don’t sweat the small stuff, and don’t get petty;
- if you have kids, put their best interests first regarding custody, child support, and more; and
- consult a lawyer for legal help throughout the process.
Seeking Legal Help for a Divorce Case
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), over the past several years, there has been a decrease in the number of divorces and annulments in the U.S. Compared to 944,000 divorces and annulments in 2000, there were 872,000 in 2010. The highest year for divorces was in 2002, at 955,000, and the lowest was in 2009, at 840,000.
It’s also worth noting that the CDC data indicates a decline in the total number of marriages, too. But no matter the trend, if you are considering a divorce, get in touch with a divorce attorney at Warren & Migliaccio in Richardson, Texas. You may also order our FREE divorce guide, which includes a lot of helpful information about getting divorced.