Divorce in Texas: Dallas Lawyer’s Advice for Helping Children Cope
Divorce in Texas has both legal and emotional ramifications not just for the people ending their marriage, but also for their children as well. Although a Dallas divorce lawyer can make the legal process of ending a marriage straightforward, dealing with the emotional ramifications of divorce tends to be much more challenging. This is especially true when kids become upset about the divorce.
Divorce in Texas: Tips for Helping Kids Cope
While divorce will always be hard on children, there are a few things that parents can do to make the divorce process as easy as possible. First and foremost, the parents should do every single thing possible to ensure that the divorce in Texas is an amicable one and not a messy situation in which kids get put in the middle.
There are many opportunities to achieve an amicable divorce in Texas with the help of a Texas divorce lawyer. For instance, couples who are divorcing may attempt to settle all of the divorce-related issues outside of court by simply working together. The couple can then present a comprehensive divorce settlement agreement to the court for approval.
When you can negotiate issues related to divorce outside of court, you can avoid litigating your divorce in Texas and avoid having to present a case in front of a judge. Not only does this allow you to remain on friendlier terms with your former spouse, but it also makes the divorce quicker and cheaper and lets you keep family information private. This, alone, can make a huge difference in helping kids cope.
Parents who are not able to agree on all divorce issues solely on their own with the help of their Dallas divorce lawyer may consider seeking third party help to successfully resolve divorce issues. Working with a mediator is one option, or choosing a collaborative divorce process is another civil way to end a marriage that will be easier on the kids.
Further, even if you cannot agree on every single aspect of your divorce, you should always try to come to a custody agreement on your own if you want to make things easier for your children. Coming up with a parenting plan and custody division on your own allows you to decide on a schedule that works best for your family and helps ensure that your kids never feel caught in the middle.
Keeping Your Children’s Best Interests in Mind
Although it is natural for kids to feel some anxiety in a divorce, there are a few things you can do to help your kids cope and to make the process of divorce in Texas as painless as possible for your children. Some tips from a Dallas divorce lawyer for providing necessary reassurance to kids include the following:
- Let your children know that you and your spouse love them and that the divorce is not their fault. Say the words until they feel redundant – your children need to hear them.
- Never speak badly about the other parent in front of the child, and never fight in front of your children. If you need to express these negative feelings, do so when the children are not around.
- Set up a room or space for your children in both parent’s houses right away, even if the living arrangements are temporary. This will help the children understand they still have the love and support of both parents.
- Allow your children plenty of time with extended family members including grandparents, aunts and uncles. This is especially true of your former in-laws, since your child will need to know that the extended family circle will remain in tact.
- Give your children space to grieve the loss of the marriage but let them know that you are there to talk.It is natural for kids to be sad and you should let them feel what they are feeling rather than trying to always put a happy face on everything.
- Explain to your children exactly what will happen and what life will be like after divorce. Children need certainty and stability in their lives and it will help them understand what is going on and what will happen after the marriage.
- Provide your children access to a therapist if they need one or if they seem to having a hard time coping.
By following these tips, you can help ensure that the stress of the divorce is minimized.
Contact a Divorce Lawyer in Dallas
To learn more about divorce in Texas and how a Dallas divorce lawyer can help make the process go as smoothly as possible, contact the experienced Texas divorce attorneys at Warren & Migliaccio, L.L.P. today at 888-584-9614.