Know Your Rights When Dealing with Debt Collectors in Richardson, Texas
Some debt collectors will use intimidation practices, like harassment and fraud, in order to receive payments from you. Texas law provides protection to individuals who have been a victim of harassment, as well as criminally and civilly penalizes organizations that employ these methods. See a Richardson, Texas bankruptcy attorney to assess your debt repayment options.
The Texas Debt Collection Act prohibits creditors from abusive practices when they attempt to obtain payments from a debtor.
Your Rights for Debt Collection in Richardson, Texas
When dealing with debt collectors, you have a right to not be subjected to the following:
- threats of violence, arrest, or repossession;
- profane language;
- accusations of consumer fraud;
- the creditor using a false name, or calling you anonymously;
- phone calls before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m., unless agreed upon;
- misrepresentation of the amount of debt or its legal status; and
- fabricating documents so they appear to be from an official U.S. government agency.
A Texas Bankruptcy Lawyer Can Help
Located in Richardson, Texas, the law offices of Warren & Migliaccio have specialized in bankruptcy law since 1994. When dealing with debt collectors, consumers could be faced with organizations that may attempt to take advantage of their rights and property. The team at Warren & Migliaccio will work with you to devise the best strategy to combat creditor harassment. For a free consultation call 1-888-584-9614 today.
Leave a Reply