The yellow pages are full of the names of child custody lawyers, so how do you select someone who will be the most effective in protecting your parental rights? The best place to start is by asking the people whom you know and trust for a recommendation. After you have a referral or two, contact each Dallas child custody lawyer to schedule a consultation in which you can ask questions and discuss your case.
Talking about a pending divorce with family, friends, or co-workers is never easy, but in order to get a top-notch lawyer, you need to tear down the wall and ask for help. You don’t have go into detail about your situation. Also, keep in mind that the referrer may be sensitive about discussing the details of prior divorce or custody settlement. When asking for a referral, keep your questions focused on the professionalism of the attorney instead of the particulars of your case or the referrer’s personal experiences.
Here are some questions to consider when asking a person for a lawyer referral:
- Did the lawyer do a good job?
- Would you hire this attorney again or recommend him or her to others? Why or why not?
- Was the attorney cooperative and easy to talk to about personal and private matters?
- Did the attorney answer your questions completely and clearly?
- Was the office well organized and the staff helpful and responsive?
- Did you feel that the attorney had integrity and was honest in dealing with you and others?
- Did the attorney appear to have the respect of the judge and other attorneys?
If are not able to get a referral from your family or friends, another resource is to contact a local support group for divorced parents or your local bar association. After you have a solid lead, develop a list of questions to ask the attorney during your first meeting.
At the law firm of Warren & Migliaccio, we are available to answer your questions on a variety of family issues, including divorce, child custody, and child support and enforcement. Call us today at 888-584-9614 for a free and confidential consultation.
Leave a Reply