Going through a divorce can be stressful, and emotions sometimes can override important decisions that need to be made, especially concerning finances. But the process can be much easier if you know ahead of time what to expect and how to prepare. An attorney may help you avoid mistakes during the divorce process and help you through the process.
The following are seven financial tips for those going through a divorce:
- Gather all financial documents so you have a full understanding of the situation.
- Come up with a budget based on your new monthly expenses.
- Consider which assets might need to be let go (such as a house).
- Review your credit report regularly.
- Close all joint accounts.
- Review your insurance policies to understand the coverage, premiums, beneficiaries, etc.
- Apply for credit cards and open bank accounts in your own name.
Seeking Help from a Divorce Lawyer in Texas
It’s important to protect yourself financially when you are going through a divorce. The best way to do this is by consulting a divorce lawyer at Warren & Migliaccio at (888) 584-9614. After you have scheduled a consultation, take time to order our FREE divorce book. It provides helpful information that can prepare you ahead of time for your appointment.