Have you received a notice saying that Citibank is suing you? If you get sued by Citibank, you may wonder if it is a Citibank debt collection scam letter or if it is legitimate. If it is real, what can you expect, and what do you do to protect yourself? We do not recommend ignoring it. Instead, verify whether it is real and review your case with a debt defense attorney. Below, we discuss some of your potential options if being sued by Citibank in Texas.
At Warren & Migliaccio, our North Texas debt defense lawyers help individuals and families find affordable and effective resolutions to their cases. Our law firm has significant experience and success defending individuals in credit card collection lawsuits. We welcome you to schedule a consultation with us to discuss your options to put Citibank’s lawsuit behind you.
What Is Citibank, N.A.?
Citibank, N.A., also known as Citibank or Citi, is the United States banking subsidiary of Citigroup, a global financial services company. Citi is one of the most prominent credit card issuers in the country. It also has other banking, lending, and investing services.
Why Is Citibank Suing Me?
Have you received a Summons or an official notice of a lawsuit from Citibank? Citibank may be suing you because it believes you have delinquent credit card debt.
Credit card issuers like Citibank may resort to litigation when they cannot collect debt payments from credit card owners. Because of this, if Citibank is suing you, it is attempting to recover money it believes you own and owe.
Who Represents Citibank in Its Debt Collection Lawsuits?
If you are being sued by Citibank, you will likely hear from its debt collection lawyers. Citibank uses multiple firms to pursue debt collection on its behalf in Texas. These firms include, but are not limited to:
- Moss Law Firm, PC
- Jenkins & Young, P.C.
- Javitch Block LLC
What Can I Expect, and What Are My Options In A Citibank Lawsuit?
If you received a letter in the mail saying you are being sued by Citibank, you might have a few different legal options available to you. However, answering the lawsuit should be your first step. You will likely have a better outcome for your case if you do not ignore it.
Your options may include the following:
- Defending yourself against the lawsuit. Just because Citibank filed a lawsuit against you does not mean it has a strong claim against you and will win its case. It is Citibank’s burden to prove its case. If you challenge it, it may not have enough evidence against you. Additionally, you may have strong defenses to get the case dismissed or win the case.
- Negotiating a Citibank debt settlement. If you recognize the debt and Citibank has a strong case against you, then attempting to negotiate a settlement may be the right option for your situation. Credit card issuers are typically receptive to settling for multiple reasons. For example, settling allows Citibank to avoid litigation costs and the chance of losing in court.
- Seeking alternative debt resolution. If you are overwhelmed with the amount of debt, you may be able to seek alternative debt resolution, such as bankruptcy protection. We recommend contacting a bankruptcy attorney from our firm to discuss whether bankruptcy is right for you.
What Happens if I Ignore a Citibank Credit Card Lawsuit?
Many individuals choose to ignore credit card lawsuits for various reasons. Whether it is from fear, lack of funds, or not knowing how to proceed, you may consider ignoring it too.
However, if you ignore Citibank’s lawsuit, you are likely giving Citibank an easy win of the case. Citibank could get a default judgment against you, which legally entitles it to the money it alleges you owe because you did not respond to the lawsuit or show up in court. With a default judgment, Citibank may try to obtain the alleged debt in the following ways:
- Bank garnishment, or freezing your bank accounts
- Property lien, or making a claim against your property as collateral for the debt
- Property seizure, or taking your property to pay off the debt
How We Help Our Clients in Debt Defense Lawsuits
We understand you are facing a stressful and uncertain time. At Warren & Migliaccio, we focus on helping individuals overcome these difficult financial situations and reach a resolution. We may be able to help you too.
Our North Texas debt defense attorneys have significant experience handling debt collection defense cases on behalf of our clients. During a consultation, we can review the case against you and answer your legal questions. If we decide to work together, you can expect us to help you with the following steps right away:
- File a response, or Answer, to Citibank’s lawsuit
- Investigate the validity and strength of Citibank’s claims
- Walk you through your best legal options
- Gather evidence for your defense
Depending on your legal options, we may be able to help you with the following:
- Requesting the court to dismiss the case
- Defending you against Citibank in court
- Negotiating a settlement with Citi outside of court
- Exploring alternative debt resolution options
Contact Our North Texas Debt Defense Attorneys Today
If you are facing a credit card lawsuit against Citibank, we encourage you to act by reaching out to an experienced debt defense attorney to discuss your situation. You may have viable legal options to get the case dismissed, negotiate a settlement, or fight the case in court. However, the longer you wait, the fewer options you may have.
We welcome you to call our office to schedule a consultation or fill out and submit our online contact form, and we will contact you soon. During a consultation, we can review Citibank’s claims against you and determine how we can help you move forward.